Final 12-month results of the pivotal WEB Intrasaccular Therapy (WEB-IT) Study
Wide neck aneurysms are a challenge to neurointerventionists. The intricate techniques deployed are balloon and stent assisted coiling, flow diverter deployment and double catheter technique. Web devices have rejuvenated a novel interest in treatment of wide neck saccular aneurysms. Woven Endo Bridge Intrasaccular Therapy( WEB-IT) study is a prospective ,single arm ,investigational device exemption study designed to evaluate the safety and efficacy of Web device for the treatment of wide neck bifurcation aneurysms.
- 148 patients received WEB implants.
- 1 (0.7%) patient experienced ipsilateral ICH on day 22 post procedure.
- No primary safety event occurred after 30 days, through 1 year.
- 12 month angiographic follow up revealed 53.8 % (77/143) had complete occlusion and adequate occlusion of aneurysm seen in (84.6)121/143 patients
The WEB –IT is a land mark study, which proves the safety and efficacy of WEB implantation for wide neck aneurysms. However careful case selection and expertise seems to be the bench mark for the success of the novel neurovascular treatment of wide neck aneurysms.
* Subash Phuyal – Consultant Interventional Neuroradiologist, Grande International Hospital, Kathmandu